CAG-certified Artifacts from the Space Race Offered in Heritage Sale
Posted on 5/12/2023
Historical artifacts related to early American space exploration that have been certified by Collectibles Authentication Guaranty® (CAG®) are being offered in an auction this month. Bidding is already underway for the Space Exploration Signature Auction #6273 presented by Heritage Auctions, which is scheduled for May 19-20, 2023.
A top highlight in the sale is a CAG-certified Apollo 11 Flown Flag - United States of America from the Armstrong Family Collection™ (lot 50205), which was aboard the first spaceflight mission to land humans on the moon on July 20, 1969. Bidding for it had already reached $15,000 more than a week before the auction.
|Apollo 11 Flown Flag - United States of America from the Armstrong Family Collection™
Click image to enlarge.
The 4.25-inch-by-5.75-inch silk flag comes directly from famed American astronaut Neil Armstrong, who is the first man to ever set foot on the moon. According to the auction house, Armstrong brought the flag along on the Apollo 11 mission and subsequently preserved it within his own collection upon his return to Earth. This vital piece of historic space memorabilia includes a Statement of Provenance from Armstrong's sons, Rick and Mark Armstrong.
Another rare artifact in the Heritage Auctions sale is a 1965 Flown Gemini 3 Gilt/Sterling Fliteline Medal pedigreed to the Gus Grissom Estate (lot 50089). The astronauts aboard NASA's Gemini 3 spacecraft flew into space with this medal during the historic mission.
| 1965 Flown Gemini 3 Gilt/Sterling Fliteline Medal pedigreed to the Gus Grissom Estate
Click images to enlarge.
Gemini 3 astronauts Gus Grissom and John Young were part of the first two-man spaceflight on March 23, 1965, and were notably the first American crew to fire thrusters, which impacted the shape and size of the spacecraft's orbit. It would be a key maneuverability test run that aided future US space missions, and eventually allowed Apollo 11 to land on the moon.
Other CAG-certified collectibles in the May auction include:
- a piece of Wright Flyer Wing Fabric pedigreed to the Otto Kallir Collection (lot 50001)
- a NASA Photograph - Michael Collins Signed (September 10, 1964) from the Personal Collection of Michael Collins (lot 50540)
- a 1966 Flown Gemini 8 Gilt/Sterling Fliteline Medal graded NGC MS 63 from the Armstrong Family Collection (lot 50101)
- a 1969 Flown Apollo 9 Robbins Medal graded NGC MS 64 and pedigreed to James A. McDivitt (lot 50167)
- an Apollo 11 Insurance Cover - Type One (Moon Landing Day, July 20, 1969 - Houston, TX) from the Armstrong Family Collection (lot 50206)
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CAG eNewsletter today!